It's time for another trip around the ballroom! Season 24 of "Dancing With the Stars" premiered last night, which meant after the traditional, incredible opening number, we got to see each couple perform their first dance. Here's how the night shook out:
- Normani Kordei and Val Chmerkovskiy: The Fifth Harmony singer got off to a great start and a love of "DWTS" runs in her family- her grandma even writes down all the scores in a log book. Judge Len Goodman, who will be on every single episode this season, wasn't thrilled. The rest of the judges, Julianne Hough, Bruno Tonioli, and Carrie Ann Inaba, seemed impressed enough. The couple nabbed a 27 out of 40.
- Nancy Kerrigan and Artem Chigvintsev: The iconic figure skater is pretty solid and has nice long lines. The routine itself was perfectly pleasant and the couple scores a 28.
- Chris Kattan and Witney Carson: Yet again, the producers of "DWTS" paired Witney with someone she doesn't know. After competing with Vanilla Ice last season, we find out Witney's never seen an episode of "Saturday Night Live" and doesn't know any of Chris' characters. No matter, though, the comedian is far and away the worst performer of the night. Len said the best thing about the routine is that he doesn't have to watch it again. Rough. They got a 17.
- Bonner Bolton and Sharna Burgess: Bonner is this season's "athlete overcoming very serious injury." The professional bull rider broke his neck a year ago and was paralyzed. Apparently he doesn't need his neck to do plenty of hip thrusts and not surprisingly, Carrie Ann and Bruno are smitten with how sexy he is. Bonner and Sharna got a 22.
- Charo and Keo Motsepe: God bless Keo for having to deal with hurricane Charo. She literally burst out of a box the first time they met and all but tried to fight the judges after they gave their mediocre dance mediocre scores. Tom Bergeron barely managed to hold Charo back. Apparently she thought they deserved more than a 21.
- Nick Viall and Peta Murgatroyd: A week after declaring all he wants is love, "Bachelor" star Nick Viall is on yet another reality show. All things considered, he's not bad, and he understands that Peta is not here to mess around. The couple pulled in a 24.
- Heather Morris and Maksim Chmerkovskiy: There's a lot of pressure on Heather considering she used to be a backup dancer for Beyoncè. Her routine lives up to the hype and she gets universal praise for the judges. Julianne tries to act like a being professional dancer might hurt her, but Heather and Maks got a 28.
- David Ross and Lindsay Arnold: "Dancing's" first ever baseball star manages to be very light on his feet...and of course wears a bedazzled baseball uniform during his routine. Julianne predicts he's going to go far in the competition and the couple is on par with Bey's former dancer, Heather. David and Lindsay also got a 28.
- Erika Jayne and Gleb Savchenko: If you've watched any episode of "Real Housewives of Beverly Hills" you know all Erika talks about is her stage show. That charisma didn't exactly transfer to the ballroom. Len thought their routine was too raunchy but Julianne appreciates that she's teaching women to embrace their sexuality. Erika and Gleb pulled in a 24.
- Rashad Jennings and Emma Slater: Rashad is this season's surprise. While there have been plenty of football players on the show before, Rashad has some serious swagger and great skills considering it's week one. Len has some complaints, but the pair get the first 8 of the night and a 31 overall.
- Mr. T and Kym Herjavec: It would be hard for anyone to follow Rashad, but Mr. T couldn't even hold a candle. He pulls a Geraldo Rivera and basically walks and punches the air. He and Kym got a 20.
- Simone Biles and Sasha Farber: The night ended with Simone, a teammate of last season's champ Laurie Hernandez. To absolutely no one's surprise, the greatest gymnast of all time is adorable and an incredible dancer off the bat. They got 8s all around for a 32, the highest score of the night.
Here's how the leaderboard stands:
32: Simone Biles31: Rashad Jennings28: Nancy Kerrigan, Heather Morris, David Ross27: Normani Kordei24: Nick Viall, Erika Jayne22: Bonner Bolton21: Charo20: Mr. T17: Chris Kattan