As the nearly seven year civil war in Syria gets our attention, you may feel helpless but don’t.
There are several ways you can reach out and aid the tiniest victims of this bloodshed. Seven organizations are leading the efforts to be bring food, health care, healing, and hope to the country.
- The White Helmets: This rescue organization is made up entirely of dedicated local volunteers. When bombs fall, the White Helmets rush in to search for life in the rubble.
- Save the Children: This organization supplies food for Syrian children and supports education efforts in refugee camps across Syria.
- UN World Food Programme: This agency works to meet the pressing food needs of millions of displaced families across war-torn areas of the country.
- Mercy Corps: Clean water is desperately needed, along with sanitation services, shelter and food. Mercy Corps helps to provide these lifesaving essentials to those who need it most.
- International Rescue Committee: This organization helps people whose lives and livelihoods are shattered by conflict and disaster by providing services that lead to improvements in health, safety, education and economic well-being.
- UNICEF: Beyond providing fundamentals like clothes and shelter, this renowned humanitarian agency also provides health care solutions and safe drinking water.
- Doctors Without Borders: Made up of volunteer mobile medical teams, these doctors have no political agenda, and are present simply to provide medical aid to populations affected by conflict. They also distribute helpful, non-food item kits including hygiene kits, kitchen kits, winter kits, mattresses and more.