Homemade slime leaves 11-year-old girl with third-degree burns

A common ingredient in DIY slime is to blame for a Massachusetts girl’s second- and third-degree burns, according to reports.

Eleven-year-old Kathleen Quinn who made DIY slime “a million times” with no problems, suddenly started crying in extreme pain in the middle of the night, mom Siobhan Quinn told WCVB Channel 5 in Boston. The girl had second and third-degree burns covering her hands, because of her contact with detergent booster borax, her doctor said.

A quick YouTube search produces several slime or "gak" recipes using borax mixed with glue, water and food coloring. The only caution on a box of borax is typically to avoid contact with eyes. But, extended use could cause symptoms like Kathleen's.


SOURCE AND MORE INFORMATION FROM USA TODAY HERE


MORE FROM WCVB CHANNEL FIVE IN BOSTON HERE

Here is a video on making slime without borax.

 
Scott Stevens

Scott Stevens

Want to know more about Scott Stevens? Get their official bio, social pages & articles on New Country 107.9! Read more

title

Content Goes Here