This year’s Special Awards honorees for the 53rd annual Academy of Country Music Awards were just announced and some of your favorites are set to be recognized. This year's recipients will be saluted at the 12thAnnual ACM Honors, which will take place August 22nd at the historic Ryman Auditorium in Nashville, Tennessee.
This year’s honorees include:
- Alan Jackson, who’ll receive the Cliffie Stone Icon Award, which is given a country music artist, or industry leader who throughout their career has advanced the popularity of the genre.
- Darius Rucker, who’ll receive the Gary Haber Lifting Lives Award, given for his devotion to improving lives through the power of music.
- Dierks Bentley, who’s getting the third annual Merle Haggard Spirit Award, which recognizes an artist that’s following his/her own path, crafting great songs and epitomizing Merle’s spirit.
- Sam Hunt, who’s getting the Gene Weed Milestone Award,presented for a specific, unprecedented or outstanding achievement in the field of country music during the preceding calendar year. Sam is receiving the honor thanks to his hit “Body Like A Back Road,” which, among other things, was the year’s most downloaded country song and the most-heard song on country radio.
- Mickey Christensen, Chris Christensen and Eddie Miller will posthumously be awarded the Mae Boren Axton Service Award in recognition of their years of dedication and service to the Academy of Country Music.
- Matraca Berg and Norro Wilson will posthumously receive the Poet’s Award, for outstanding and longstanding musical and/or lyrical contributions throughout their career.
- Rhett Akins will get the Songwriter of the Year Award, presented to an individual known predominately as a songwriter.
- Rob Potts will posthumously receive the ACM Jim Reevesinternational award, which is given to an artist or industry leader for outstanding contributions to the acceptance of country music throughout the world.