Everything is more expensive these days, even dating. Thanks in part to rising inflation rates, daters are spending about 40% more on dating than they did a decade ago, according to a report from Match. As a result, some people are dating less to save money. Nearly half (47%) of singles have passed on a date because of their personal financial situation, eHarmony’s research shows.
To help save money, more folks are deciding to “infla-date” by going on budget-friendly dates, like meeting for mid-morning coffee instead of a $100 dinner. Beyond just helping you spend less, some experts say the infla-dating trend could also help take some pressure off. So it actually pays to be a cheap date these days and these are some fun ways to be one.
- Go to a local art museum - Some museums let you donate any amount you want, so you can get cultured on the cheap.
- Stage a DIY paint and sip - Instead of paying for one of those paint and sip classes that can cost as much as $65 a person, buy a bottle of wine and a couple of “paint by numbers” kits and make your own romantic, affordable date.
- Go to a bookstore - Grab a coffee and wander around the genres you each like, getting to know each other over your appreciation of books.
- Go on a hike - Head to a scenic trail and take in the views while you chat and enjoy the great outdoors together.
- Go kayaking - Spend a little for a one-hour small boat rental and let the nature and people watching serve as a conversation starter.
- Head to a drive-in movie - If there’s a drive-in theater near you, load up on snacks and drinks and go watch a flick on the big screen from the comfort of your own car, where you can talk more than in a regular theater.
- Go to the farmer’s market - You can wander around, support local vendors, grab a bite to eat and learn about each other without spending a lot of money.
Source: Huff Post
- These all sound way more fun than a typical dinner date anyway, don’t they?
- Have your dating habits changed as a result of your budget being stretched extra thin these days? How are you saving on dates?
- What’s the most fun cheap date you’ve ever been on?