When parents pick out a name for their newborn, they don’t always know if it’s going to be one that a bunch of other kids their age will have or if they’ll be the only kid named that. A woman who was a counselor at an all-girls summer camp is giving us some insight into popular names, revealing the top names of tween girls she worked with this summer.
In a TikTok video, Yaya Kampen shares that she loves name culture and some parents choose what they think will be a rare name, only to find it’s a lot more common than they thought. So they give their kid a name they think will be unique, “but there ends up being like 15 of them at the same summer camp.”
These are the 10 most common names of campers between the ages of 10 and 12 that Yaya encountered this summer:
10) Charlotte - Or any nickname for it, including Charlie, Lottie and Shar.
9) Lily - Variations include Liliana, Lilian and just lots of Lilies.
7) Isabelle or Isabella
6) Claire or Clara
5) Audrey or Aubrey
4) Elle - And versions of it like Ella, Ellen and Ellie
3) Madison - As well as Madeline, Maddie and Madds
2) Emma - But as a nickname for Emerson. “So, we literally had 14 girls whose names were Emerson and they were called Emma,” Yaya shares. “I’m positive that one was on a blog like 12 years ago about cool, new names for your little girls and it was like Emerson and all of the women chose Emerson.”
1) Zoey - There were 18 of them at camp this summer, spelled a lot of different ways, like Zo to Zoe.
- Yaya also shares some less common campers names she loves, including Hildegard, Dottie, Louella, Madelief, November, Pippa, Lake and Ziggy.
Source: Scary Mommy
- Can you imagine a whole cabin full of tween girls named Emerson and Zoey?
- Very few kids have the same name as my kids. :)
- Names should be special to you and your family. Even if the name is popular among others.